In my district, we have many Middle Eastern business owners who could be an easy target for criminals. So therefore, I will inform the readers about robberies, which are one of the most serious and potentially dangerous crimes committed in the United States today. A robber commits a holdup because he or she believes that their profit will be worth the risk. By decreasing the possible profit and increasing the risk of apprehension, potential victims can reduce their chance of becoming a target. Here are few practices I recommend all business owners to follow:
- Know who is in your business and where they are.
- Be suspicious of people wearing inappropriate clothing for the weather.
- Be aware of suspicious activity outside your business especially at opening and closing times.
- Write down license plate numbers of suspicious vehicles if visible from inside your business.
- Keep your business well lit, especially at the entrances and exits.
- Maintain visibility throughout the business. Make sure signs and displays do not obstruct the view of the customer service area from the street.
- Mark the edge of the main doorway at varying heights to help identify the height of a robber.
- Keep cash at a minimum, and post notices in the doorway of this fact.
- Consider the installation of video cameras or alarm systems.
Opening and Closing Procedures:
- Have at least two employees present when opening and closing the business.
- Upon arrival at the business, make sure the perimeter of the building is checked for suspicious persons or vehicles as well as possible break-ins.
- At closing, make sure all areas are checked to make sure no one is hiding in the business.
- Do not admit customers after business hours.
Be aware that sometimes merchants are followed back to their business or to their homes by robbers. Certain safety precautions should be followed regarding vehicles and home safety. Do not always travel the same routes to and from work. Be observant of vehicles following you. Know where police stations and fire stations are in your area. These are places of safety, should you suspect that you are being followed. Please write down the license plate number of any suspicious vehicle and call the police. Once again, thank you for reading this article and be safe!